Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sweet Potato, Corn, and Jalapeño Bisque



My recipe book is made up of recipes I've printed then put in laminated pouches and assembled in a 3-ring binder.  For a while, I had this nasty habit of printing out most recipes that looked good then putting them directly into my binder system---no bueno!

The binder became untrustworthy because I had no idea if I would like the recipe or not, and it also became a big, big mess.  Now, I have a special spot for recipes I want to try and recipe face offs (like, I have two ratatouille recipes and two shepherd's pie recipes, so I'm going to have them face-off and then choose one-- it's going to be intense!!!).  

This soup was a recipe I've been wanting to try.  Unfortunately, it hasn't made the final cut for my official recipe book.  Despite the jalapeño, the soup is hardly spicy; rather, it's mostly sweet.  I don't like sweet soup, but you may like sweet soup, in which case, go for it!  This is super quick to make, too--less than 30 minutes. 


Btw, the Bachelor is back, and I'm totally watching it.  Lord help me.




Sweet, Corn, and Jalapeño Bisque
“Cooking Up a Storm: Recipes Lost and Found From The Times-Picayune of New Orleans” (Chronicle Books, 2008)


Serves 3 for dinner

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 medium jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Scant pinch ground cinnamon
Finely chopped scallions, green parts only, or minced parsley
1. In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until just soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender or a food processor, purée contents of pot, in batches if necessary, until smooth.
3. Reheat soup, stirring in jalapeño, corn, molasses, salt, cayenne, black pepper and cinnamon. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve, topped with scallions or parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment