Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Split Pea Soup

If super thick and delicious split pea soup isn't your thing, stand back because this soup is just that.  Did I mention there's bacon, too?  And Todd will tell you, bacon makes everything better.  So, there you have it...

ALSO, today was my last day of class of my semester of law school--good grief!  My first semester has been interesting, challenging and sometimes, downright funny.  If nothing else, I can't wait to be a lawyer!  Please think good thoughts for me as I embark on my first experience with law school exams.

Split Pea Soup
(via The Kitchen Sink Recipes)
Yield: 4 bowls
2 to 3 slices of thick-cut, best-quality bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock (homemade or low-sodium/store bought)
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups split peas

In a large, heavy soup pot, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until it begins to brown (about 5 minutes).  Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and thyme to the bacon; stir and cook for several minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes).  Add wine, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.  Add the stock, water and peas; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat and cook the soup over medium-low heat for an hour to an hour-and-a-half, until most of the split peas have broken down and the soup reaches your desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment