Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Black Bean and Avocado Brownies

I know what you're thinking ... black bean and avocado brownies!?  And really, I was right there with you.  Lord knows I'd eat the brownies, but I wasn't sold on the fact that I'd like them.  


Boy oh boy, was I wrong!  


Holy my goodness.  In fact, I have confession.  Are you ready?  These brownies are supposed to serve 12, but Todd and I basically split the whole shebang!!  Needless to say, my "healthy" brownies caused me to gain weight the next day!  Gracious, why are these healthy brownies so good?!  Naturally, there was not enough time to both stuff these brownies in my face and take a picture.  Sorry.


MAJOR NOTE: you can eat these brownies once they're cool from the oven, but they taste BEST if you put them in the fridge overnight and eat them the next day.  Also, these are more like fudgey brownies than cakey brownies ...


WARNING: eating these brownies may cause you to gain weight.  See above.


Black Bean and Avocado Brownies
(adapted from Cara's Cravings, about 2 grams of fat and 100 calories per serving)
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 eggs

1/4 cup agave syrup
1/2 of a ripe avocado
6 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons white sugar 
2 teaspoons instant coffee (eeeewwwww)  The real recipe calls for instant espresso, which I didn't have on hand.  However, if I had the option, I would use the espresso.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper.

Combine black beans, egg substitute, agave syrup, and avocado in food processor. Blend for a few minutes, until completely smooth. Add remaining ingredients and continue blending until fully combined, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Spread into parchment-lined baking dish. Bake for 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the brownies comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment