Wednesday, August 24, 2011

G-Ma's Famous Mac and Cheese - This Time, With Beer


Todd snapped a pic of me on my way to my first class of 2L year!  Good morning, Evidence!  

(Do you see my yoga mat poking out?  I've got my schedule set so I can go 1-2x during the week to break up my day.)


And when I got home, Todd was pulling his grandma's famous mac and cheese out of the oven!  I'm such a lucky girl!  

We've made some slight modifications to the original recipe - we subbed flour for cornstarch and added ham, and beer (!).



Enjoy this everyone, and give your grandma a hug!


G-Ma's Famous Mac and Cheese, with Beer 
Serves 4, probably should serve 8
From Grandma McMullen


Ingredients
1 box of cooked elbow pasta

2 T butter
2 T flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp pepper
2 full cups of milk, may just a splash more
1/2 can of beer (we used Epicenter, which tastes like Kiltlifter)
2 cups (or more!) sharp (extra sharp?) cheddar cheese
Pre-cooked ham cubes (enough)
Italian bread crumbs

In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
Blend 2 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter.
Add dry mustard powder, salt and pepper.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes.
Slowly add the the beer, followed by the milk, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and add the cheese.  Stir into cooked macaroni, then mix in ham cubes.  Pour into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle with bread crumbs.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment