On the upshot, since we do a lot of our own cooking, when we go out, we don't feel so bad about being swanky. Here's where we went last night! The atmosphere is really urban and the walls have some great exposed brick. Will definitely be back for Moscow Mules and foie gras bon bons.
Black Beans and Rice
(slightly adapted from Simply Recipes)
About 6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 4 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained (note: we accidentally picked up refried black beans the last time we made this, and it was AMAZING!!)
- 4 Tbsp white vinegar
- About 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Cook rice (about an hour).
2 Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.