Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables in "Spicy" Coconut Broth with Jasmine Rice



Hello my pretties!  I'm in a grrreeeatttt mood today!

I went off coffee about two weeks ago because it was losing its effect, and I was having trouble sleeping.  After two weeks, the no-coffee headaches subsided, but my world was still feeling a little fuzzy.  So, I decided to get back on the coffee wagon!  Woooohooooo!  I could do somersaults I have so much energy right now!

Clearly, I'm addicted, but don't worry about me.  I only drink about a cup a day, and I'm going to try to stop over the summer when I'm not studying things like the dormant commerce clause, fee simple subject to condition subsequent, and my out of control bounded rationality.

A few quick notes about this dish.  First, it's not spicy.  And Todd likes that.  Me, I like to kick it up a knoch.  You might be surprised about the fact that it's not spicy, given how much chile you put in.  But don't worry, it's the right amount.  Also, I recommend not skipping the rice, otherwise the this will turn out pretty soupy.  Finally, I just threw in asparagus because we had it in the fridge, but it's completely optional.




Thai-Style Tofu and Vegetables in "Spicy" Coconut Broth with Jasmine Rice
Slightly adapted from Fresh Food Fast by Peter Berley


Ingredients
  • 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, about 4 large
  • 2 serrano chiles, with seeds, thinly sliced
  • 1 inch piece fresh ginger
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 Napa cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch wide slices
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias
  • 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushroom
  • 1 can lite coconut milk
  • 1 pound firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2-4 tomatoes on the vine, cored and cut into wedges
  • 1 bag frozen snow peas
  • 1 bunch asparagus, sliced into inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
  • 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
Directions
In a large saucepan over high heat, saute shallots for 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium, add chiles, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and saute for another minute.  Add the cabbage, carrot, and mushrooms, and saute for 2 minutes, until veggies soften.

Pour in the coconut milk and 1 cup water and bring mixture to a boil.  Add the tofu, soy sauce, and salt and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and snow peas and asparagus and simmer 3 more minutes.  Add the basic and simmer and for another minute.

Serve with jasmine rice + lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment