Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Butternut Squash and Coconut Milk Rice



Good gracious!  What a day I've had ... studied in the library from 7-12 then took my Property exam from 1-4.  I think I deserved that beer I just drank.  


Man, that exam ... I don't even know.  The first question (worth 65% of my grade, took 1 hour and 45 minutes to write) was about nudists, inspired by this recent article.  Briefly, nudist communities are dwindling in numbers because young people don't think it's so cool to get naked with people their parents age. Yeah, my professor has a sense of humor.  I can't even bear to imagine all the puns ... 


Tartelette raves about this recipe, and I pretty much agree.  Would have been better if I remembered to add the lime .... grumble, grumble... property exam.  So, yeah, next time I'll add the lime and see if I can find a substitute for lemongrass (lemon juice and ginger?), which we didn't like especially much.  Also, I used frozen butternut squash, which is exactly bajillion times easier than peeling and cutting a butternut squash yourself.  Will definitely use frozen next time I want to make butternut squash risotto, too.


Butternut Squash and Coconut Milk Rice
Slightly adapted from Tartelette, who adapted from Cooking Light form 2002


1 1/4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup brown basmati rice
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
1 bag frozen butternut squash

1 teaspoon chopped fresh (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) thyme
salt & pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (if using canned, drain & rinse them first)

zest and juice of one lime


Bring broth (or water) and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and keep warm (I just keep mine covered while I prepare the rest of the recipe).


Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and lemongrass and sautee 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.


Reduce heat to medium and add the squash. Cook until unfrozen, stirring occasionally. Stir in thyme, salt, pepper and black beans. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add rice to squash mixture, add the lime zest and juice and stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment