Monday, May 28, 2012

My First Run!

Things I've eaten recently:


A gibralter (basically a cappuccino in a smaller cup) at Cartel.


Lunch = quinoa made in the rice cooker tossed with tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and basil on a bed of spinach drizzled with balsamic vinegar + a green apple.

This afternoon I also ran on the treadmill for the first time in at least 3 years. After breaking my femur in 2006, I developed a mental block towards certain activities. Running was one of them. Although Todd and I ran through the neighborhood a couple of times, I decided to stop it because it made my knees and ankles hurt.



After talking with the trainer yesterday and remembering what I've heard from orthos, it's finally sinking in that a little pain is normal for someone in my situation. So today I gave the treadmill a try (easier than running on concrete, don't have to watch for cars). I hopped on the treadmill, did a 5 minute warmup then ran at 5.5mph for 20 minutes (no incline).


Post-workout snack


I definitely felt some pain, but I worked through it, and now, 3 hours later, I don't feel any pain. While I won't be running a marathon any time soon, it feels great to conquer something I didn't think I could do and motivates me to keep it comin' :)


Dinner. I seasoned the corn with a little butter, salt, cayenne, and a squeeze of lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment