Thursday, May 24, 2012

Your Best Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Make it rain.  No one tells me I don't use my sifter!



















Joy the Baker says these chocolate chip cookies are the tops. And it's true they do have some unique things going for them, including melted butter, bread flour, and extra brown sugar.  They also call for kosher salt, which I previously heard was not ideal for baking... 


Now, I'm making these cookies for charity, so I obviously have no idea how they taste, but if I had to guess, I'd say they're soft and sweet with just a hint of salt ;)

One cookie got damaged. By accident. But I can't give a broken cookie to charity. So. 


















What's your favorite cookie? One time I made chocolate chip cookies for Todd - I didn't try them, but Todd seemed to like them. Not thinking they were anything special, I tossed the recipe and forgot about it. A couple months later, Todd told me they were the best cookies he's ever tasted(!). Unbelievably, I've never been able to re-find the recipe, so I tend to think the best cookie recipe is still floating around somewhere on the internet... (If I absolutely had to pick a recipe, though, it'd be these!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe from Alton Brown via Joy the Baker

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar.
Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5
minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in
an airtight container.

Something to Read:

No comments:

Post a Comment